This article will help you quickly compare and evaluate the best product lifecycle management software and other PLM solutions.
Product lifecycle management is a process in which companies can track, control, and influence the introduction and growth of their product in order to keep it relevant in the market for as long as possible. PLM solutions are important in eCommerce operations because they provide a central place for managing the development, design, launch, and marketing of a product from start to finish.
In this post, I’ll highlight a few of the best PLM package options for enterprise lifecycle control and give a synopsis of some noteworthy product management tools currently on the market.
PLM Software vs PDM Software
PDM vs PLM…what’s the difference? Product lifecycle management (PLM) and product data management (PDM) share some similarities, namely that they are both centered around processes designed to unify and control a business asset—be it a product/service item or a collection of data. Sometimes these two processes meet in “product data management” operations, which do all of the above.
PLM tools are centered around the planning, design, execution, testing, launch, and marketing of a single product or series of products. PLM is a strategic business approach that touches many areas of the product development ecosystem and can be useful for everyone from engineers to stakeholders.
PLM tends to encompass:
Milestones or stage gates
Change management processes.
PDM tools, on the other hand, are all about the collection, navigation, storage, and security of a different type of asset: data. PDM focuses on being fast and easy to maintain; it is a tool only for engineers and tends to be cheaper than the “all-encompassing” nature of PLM.
PDM tends to encompass:
Controlling and maintaining a “master file”
Tracking each change with each new version update
Assigning part numbers for each part/file across the overarching assembly
Have some questions about the processes and tools used across a product lifespan? Check out this handy FAQ.
What is PLM software?
Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software is a digital tool that helps to manage the resources required to design, launch, test, market, and administrate a product or service. PLM software will most likely have functions to oversee data, processes, business systems, and people/time resources.
What is Database Lifecycle Management?
Database lifecycle management is similar to product lifestyle management in that it is a process by which to navigate the creation, development, marketing, and launch of a commodity or goods. Database lifecycle management, however, is a policy-driven approach to managing data assets, databases, and database-related items in particular.
The Ecomm Manager is reader-supported. When you click through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Overviews Of The Top PLM Application Options
Here’s a brief description of each of the PLM process tools that are featured on this top 10 PLM software list.
1. SAP PLM – A tool that covers project portfolio management, product costing, commercial project management, and product engineering.
2. Oracle Agile – Comprehensive enterprise PLM solution for managing a product value chain and efficiently centralizing product data.
3. Siemens Teamcenter – A modern, adaptable product lifecycle management system designed to connect people and processes.
4. Bamboo Rose – Easily share inspiration, develop big ideas with buyers and suppliers, and socially manage the sourcing and buying community.
5. Aras PLM – Open source PLM used by Microsoft and GM that excels in digitally connecting enterprises around a platform for industrial applications.
6. Upchain – Cloud-based PLM software that connects everyone in a product team, keeps your CAD data organized, and automates tasks.
7. NGC PLM – Digital supply chain PLM for elements including planning, merchandising, design, costing, sampling, quality, and sourcing.
8. Centric Retail PLM – Manage the entire product lifecycle from planning assortments to creating and sourcing products to the final launch.
9. Propel – PLM tools to accelerate time to market, integrate customer feedback, meet local market standards, and conduct manufacturer testing.
10. ProductBoard – Agile product lifecycle management tool with an insights repository, flexible product hierarchy, and product objectives.
Other PLM Tools
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list. If you need additional suggestions for product lifecycle management, check these out.
Opentext – Application installation, system refresh, and upgrades, system administration support, training and certification, and infrastructure standards.
4G:PLM – A seamless CAD/PDM engineering environment with optimizing design, implementation, control, and change for Small to Medium-Sized Companies.
Arena PLM – Cloud PLM with reporting and business-ready BI, eCAD/mCAD integrations, and ERP/purchasing integrations.
PTC Windchill – PLM software with comprehensive out-of-the-box functionality and the highly-configurable role and task-based apps.
ENOVIA – A flexible PLM tool for continuous optimization, real-time progress tracking, and compliance with standards and regulations.
Aras Innovator PLM – Tools to manage product development, multi-site manufacturing, supply chain operations, and quality compliance.
Sterling PLM – A flexible platform for compliance-driven product development that can automate time-consuming, manual processes.
Hexagon – Access a host of offerings in their Product Family, including tools for 3D design and visualization, building and infrastructure, and asset lifecycle.
PDXpert – A complete PLM solution with free-form search, drag-and-drop BOMs, point-and-click configuration, and custom import and export plug-ins.
Autodesk Fusion Lifecycle PLM – Automate workflows, key tasks, and delivering timely information—all on the cloud, so everyone has access to the data.
What Do You Think About the Above Lifecycle Management Software?
Have you tried out any of the software product life cycle tools listed above? What product lifecycle management marketing tools would you add to this list? Let us know in the comment section.
Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.