URL rewrites are a great tool within your Magento admin panel (and server) for a non-Magento Developers to use in order to take control of their site, help a site migration, or just to move a few things around. But for custom rewrites, it can be a little confusing. Here is a simple guide to Creating Custom Magento URL Rewrites:
- Find Magento URL Rewrite Management - by going to Catalog > Rewrite Management
- Select Add URL Rewrite
- Select the custom option from the drop-down
- Now you are faced with a few options:
ID Path: This is the unique identifier for this rewrite. This should just be custom, but is only used for admin purposes. You can use a phrase like "ProductX" or "CategoryX". It isn't used except to uniquely identify the ID path in Magento.
Request Path: Is the URL you would like to redirect towards. If I want google.com to forward to thedigitalpm.com; Google.com is my original request.
Target Path: Is the URL you would like the Request Path directed to. Again I want google.com to go to thedigitalpm.com; TheDigitalPM.com is my redirect.
Redirect: You always want this to be permanent as 302 (or temporary redirects) do not pass any of the link juice to the new URL.
Description: This is an optional description field. Use this to keep notes on what and why you set this URL redirect up
- Fill these fields out correctly
- Click Save- This should be the job done. Quickly try out your redirect to make sure it’s working correctly
That is how you create a custom Magento URL Rewrite